Thursday 18 August 2016

When Gulzar saab pulled a prank on me!

It’s amazing how words fail you when you’re trying to pen down a few lines in praise of your favourite wordsmith.

I don’t remember exactly what the moment was when I felt the full impact of Gulzar’s poetry and lyrics. But it must have been way back in school, when there was hardly anything to watch on television and listening to music was my favourite pastime, specially just before sleeping. Fond of old Hindi film songs, I would end up listening to quite a few gems from the era gone by.

And then one night, they played the song ‘Mera Kuch Saamaan’ from Ijazat. I had not seen the movie and had never heard the song. What a beautiful, beautiful track! If this is what they called poetry, then I wanted to listen to all of it, listen to all of Gulzar saab’s songs. I heard more of him, discovered more of him. I think if there’s one word to describe his lyrics, it would have to be honest. I often find myself nodding my head listening to his poetry because somewhere deep inside, his words resonate with me. As I’m sure, they do with others. Because at the end of the day, all of us are the same. And Gulzar speaks for all of us. His words, ringing out clearly and honestly.
                With Gulzar saab and a photobomber at Prithvi Theatre, Mumbai

I’m privileged to be in a profession where one of the biggest perks of the job is that I can meet people who I really admire. And meeting Gulzar saab and talking to him, not once but on quite a few occasions, will always remain special for me. Call me old school, but I hate getting pictures clicked with celebrities or people I interview. But each time I meet this man, I get one clicked with him.

Whether it was his casual way of asking ‘haina?’ after completing a sentence or sharing a hilarious anecdote about his camaraderie with Pancham, it was Gulzar saab’s childlike demeanour that stood out at every occasion. But the incident I recall with utmost fondness is when he played a prank on me! I had interviewed him at his house in Pali Naka, Bandra and the photographer was clicking his pictures. I knew his beloved pet dog Pali had passed away some time ago and I asked him if he would ever consider keep a dog again. “But I have already. There he is, sleeping in the corner,” he said. I was surprised and whipped around to see a small dog curled up in a basket in a corner of the room. “Go ahead, he won’t do anything,” he urged. Being a little afraid of dogs in general, I cautiously moved ahead, hoping that he keeps sleeping. It was only when I had reached the edge of the basket did I realise that it was indeed a bronze cast of the dog! “Gulzar saab, I can’t believe you played a joke on me!” I exclaimed while he had a hearty laugh. “I like doing this to people,” he said with a twinkle in his eye.

On his 82nd birthday today, I wish Gulzar saab many, many more years of a healthy and happy life. May his words keep speaking to us, always.

Much love


The Art Addict

No comments:

Post a Comment